While waiting on tow service here are some safety tips to keep you and your family safe from the hazards of the road
- Turn on your emergency flashers
- Try to move your vehicle to the right-hand side of the road out of direction of traffic. Stationing yourself on a divided highway’s left side is extremely dangerous but sometimes unavoidable. Do not leave your vehicle stopped in a traffic lane.
- Move the vehicle as far away from the traffic as you can. Try to get far enough that you obtain the space to open your door without stepping out into traffic, while also visible enough so that people can see you.
- Be prepared for problem situations. Keep items in the vehicle such as flashlights, flares, blankets, and a first-aid kit. Mobile phones in the vehicle are also the most valuable safety tool during breakdown situations.
- Know where items are in the vehicle such as your jack, spare tire, and other tools and how the function.